CMG Volunteer Resources
CMG Reference Materials
- CMG Textbook, The Science of Gardening, by David Whiting, Kendall Hunt Publishing, focuses on research-based gardening information in 636 pages with over 600 color photographs and line drawings. Units include the following:
- Benefits of Gardening
- How Plants Grow (basic botany)
- Soil, Fertilizers and Soil Amendments
- Diagnostics and Pest Management
- Trees and Shrubs: Identification, Selection, and Planting
- Herbaceous Plants (flowers)
- Water Wise Landscape Design
- Irrigation Management
The book can be purchased from:
- CMG GardenNotes are the online version of CMG training materials.
- CMG volunteers update their CMG GardenNotes Notebook
- Pdf print copy: Index of Online Gardening Publications (including CMG GardenNotes, Extension Fact sheets, and PlantTalk Colorado)
VMS, Online Volunteer Management System
2013 CMG/CGC Class Schedule
- Colorado Front Range Counties - Adams, Arapahoe, Boulder, Broomfield, Denver, Douglas, Elbert, El Paso, Gilpin, Jefferson, Larimer, and Weld, Counties -- Class held in multi-county grouping, weekdays, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., starting the week of January 8, 2013
- Thursday Distance Education Class - Archuleta, Chaffee, Fremont, Gunnison, La Plata, Montezuma, Routt, and Teller Counties - Classes delivered locally via Distance Education technology and with onsite instructors in the local county, Thursdays 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., starting January 31, 2013.
- Tuesday/Thursday Evening Distance Education Class -- Golden Plains Areas (Kit Carson, Phillips, Sedgwick, Washington, and Yuma Counties in Yuma), Logan, Morgan, and Pueblo Counties - Class delivered locally via Distance Education technology in the local county Extension office, Tuesday and Thursday evenings, 6 to 9 p.m., starting January 29, 2014
- Tri River Area Class - Delta, Mesa, Montrose, and Ouray Counties with class in Grand Junction - Contact Susan Rose at 970-244-1841.
- Fall Evening Class in Boulder -- Front Range Counties - Tuesday and Thursday evenings, 6 to 9 p.m., starting, September 18, 2012.
- CSU Extension Overview
- Colorado Master Gardener Program Overview
- CMG Mission Statement
- CMG Titles (Colorado Master Gardener, Apprentice Master Gardener, etc.)
- Membership and Transfers
- Meaningful Volunteer Opportunities
- Volunteer Limitations and Liability
- CMG Partnership with the Green Industry
Handouts: The Colorado Master Gardener Program class
- #010, References and Review Questions: The Colorado Master Gardener Program
- #011, Learning
- #013, VMS (CMG Online Volunteers Management System)
- #014, The Colorado Master Gardener Program: Planting Gardens, Growing People
- #015, Communications
- #017, Listening Habits Evaluation
- #018, Using Copyrighted Materials: Are You Legal?
- #019, Homework: CMG Overview